Niacinamide also known as vitamin B3 or nicotinamide, is a beneficial ingredient in skincare for several reasons:
- Regulation of sebum production: Niacinamide helps regulate the production of sebum, the skin's natural oil. By balancing sebum levels, niacinamide can help control excessive oiliness, which is particularly beneficial for those with oily or acne-prone skin. It can also prevent clogged pores and reduce the occurrence of breakouts.
- Reduction of hyperpigmentation: Niacinamide has been found to be effective in reducing hyperpigmentation, such as dark spots, age spots, and melasma. It inhibits the transfer of melanin (the pigment responsible for skin color) to the skin cells, helping to even out skin tone and fade discoloration.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Niacinamide possesses anti-inflammatory properties that can help calm and soothe irritated or inflamed skin. It can be beneficial for people with sensitive skin, rosacea, or conditions like eczema or psoriasis.
- Moisturisation and barrier function: Niacinamide strengthens the skin's natural moisture barrier, preventing water loss and improving skin hydration. By enhancing the skin's ability to retain moisture, it can help keep the skin soft, supple, and hydrated.
- Collagen production and anti-aging effects: Niacinamide stimulates collagen synthesis, which helps improve skin elasticity and firmness. It can also reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making the skin look smoother and more youthful.
- Antioxidant properties: Niacinamide has antioxidant properties that help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that contribute to premature aging and skin damage. By neutralizing free radicals, niacinamide helps prevent oxidative stress and maintains the overall health of the skin.
Best skincare products:
Overall, niacinamide is a versatile ingredient that offers multiple benefits for the skin. It can be used by people of all skin types and is well-tolerated, making it a popular choice in skincare products. However, it's important to note that individual results may vary, and it's always recommended to consult a skincare professional.